"This curriculum provides a comprehensive and engaging program for Sunday school with multiple age groups. In addition, the children's church module is an excellent resource for churches that do children's chapel."
What is Hearts Alive?
Hearts Alive is a new Sunday school curriculum that follows the lectionary, offers lessons for multiple age groups, and focuses on Bible stories. The program is published by Bible Study Media, and written by a team of authors from several denominations. Bible Study Media previously published the Christian Life Trilogy for adults, under the leadership of Episcopal priest Charlie Holt.
As the introduction states, Hearts Alive is "evangelical in its interpretation of Scripture and contemporary in its teaching style." This curriculum may therefore provide a new option for mainline congregations that hold a traditional understanding of scripture, salvation, and the Christian life.
Hearts Alive is for pre-K through 6th grade. For each Sunday, there are individual lessons for:
- Lower Elementary (grades 1-3)
- Upper Elementary (grades 4-6)
- Children's Church (an additional lesson for each Sunday)
Who Will Enjoy Hearts Alive?
This curriculum provides a comprehensive and engaging program for Sunday school with multiple age groups. In addition, the children's church module is an excellent resource for churches that do children's chapel. The curriculum follows the lectionary, with one story chosen each Sunday from either the Old Testament or the New Testament.
The theology of Hearts Alive will appeal to churches who hold a "high view of scriptural authority and a gospel focus" (Hearts Alive introduction). The curriculum focuses on teaching children Bible stories, while sharing the good news of Jesus Christ and God's plan to save the world through him. Themes of salvation, new life, sin, and Baptism are emphasized.
- Well organized and easy to follow layout
- Children's church component
- Emphasis on Bible stories and sharing the Gospel
- Each lesson contains activity ideas, worksheets, snack ideas, etc.
- Attractive and informative take-home summary sheets for parents
- Created with mainline churches in mind (lectionary, creed, liturgy, seasons, Eucharist, etc)
Things to Keep in Mind
- The lessons provide scripted questions and answers for the teacher. You may find this confining and choose to add some open-ended prompts.
- For lessons with younger children, you may wish to supplement with additional movement/games, etc.
For a full sample packet (in digital form) go to the Hearts Alive website. Here are two small images below.
Learn more at Bible Study Media: Hearts Alive
Looking for more curriculum options? Check out the Building Faith curriculum center!